Re: TI-H: TI Modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI Modem

>Grant Stockly wrote:
>
>> Now, since your doing bus access...we can generate a little 10MHz (1/3 of
>> clock) refresh clock for some DRAM and have the ethernet card transfer to
>> the DRAM, then the calc read it from the DRAM.
>
>So you ARE doing a bus mastering thingie...

In this example, yes.

>> >Did you transfer 8 megaBYTES or 8 megaBITS?  I am afraid I am just a bit
>> >skeptical...  I don't see how you can transfer 8 Megabytes using a 2.5MHz
>> >bus.
>>
>> With the ethernet card running 10MHz slower than the calc, there is a
>> 3.75MHz bus clock (8 clock cycles per instruction) and a transfer rate of
>> 7.5MByte/s
>
>3.75 * 8 is 30 MHz.  That's the card's speed?  How is that 10MHz slower
>than the
>calc?.  10 MHz slower than the calc would be stopped.  I'm missing something.

I quote myself "ethernet card running 10MHz slower than the calc" Ethernet
card at 20, calc at 30.

>> So, it can be done at 10MB to the memory, and 7.5Mbyte to the calc, 7.5/2
>> if you want to do something with it.
>
>Not exactly...  close, but there is still an instruction fetch in there.

According to the 68000 stuff that can be done quicker now (on the new
embedded 68000 mot parts)

>A normally clocked TI92 has a 2.5MHz bus, that's 4 clock cycles per bus cycle.
>The move instruction is 2 bytes, which will take 1 bus cycle to fetch.
>Two bytes
>are read in taking another bus cycle, then they are written to the other
>location.  That takes another bus cycle.  That is three bus cycles per move
>instruction.  5MByte bus bandwidth (bus speed of 2.5MHz, that's 10MHz/4,
>times 2
>byte bus) at 3 bus cycles per instruction is 1.7 MByte maximum copy speed
>using a
>10MHz 68000.

I specifically said the calc was running at 30MHz and that in order to do
somethig useful with the data, it would take longer.

>If the card has a 3.75 MHz bus that would be 7.5 MB to the DRAM and then
>1.7 MB to the calc.

The card and calc have a 3.75MHz bus.  8 clock cycles at 30MHz is 3.75MHz.

>Where did the 10MB per second come from?  That would need a 5MHz bus speed
>assuming that a processor is not doing the tansferring to the DRAM, or it
>would
>need a 10MHz bus speed because of the instruction fetch..

The ethernet card with afew latches can do its own thing with the DRAM.

Follow-Ups: References: