Re: TI-H: TI Modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI Modem

>Did you transfer 8 megaBYTES or 8 megaBITS?  I am afraid I am just a bit
>skeptical...  I don't see how you can transfer 8 Megabytes using a 2.5MHz
>bus.

With the ethernet card running 10MHz slower than the calc, there is a
3.75MHz bus clock (8 clock cycles per instruction) and a transfer rate of
7.5MByte/s

Now, since your doing bus access...we can generate a little 10MHz (1/3 of
clock) refresh clock for some DRAM and have the ethernet card transfer to
the DRAM, then the calc read it from the DRAM.

So, it can be done at 10MB to the memory, and 7.5Mbyte to the calc, 7.5/2
if you want to do something with it.

Do
>the math:  2.5 million bus cycles, 2 bytes on the bus per cycle...  that's
>2.5 * 2
>= 5 megabytes.  That's 5 TOTAL.  That would have to include the read, the
>write and
>the instruction fetch.  I'm sorry, but I don't see how this can be right.
>I count
>the fastest possible copy can happen at about 1 megaBYTE ber second, which
>is equal
>to 8 megaBITS.
>
>> Not everyone on this list knows how to use a soldering iron, or how to
>> solder PQFP with a $8 RS iron.
>
>And not everyone needs to sacrifice speed and efficiency for
>user-friendliness in
>Windows 95 either.  And look what it has done to my computer.  This may sound
>harsh, but as far as I am concerned, if someone wants to use a computer,
>having to
>learn how to use it isn't such a bad thing.  Same thing applies here I
>think, as
>well as what I said before:  If someone has the knowlege and the want or
>need to
>network their CALCULATOR, they most likely already know or need to learn
>how to
>solder.

Not exactly.  :)  Someone I know wants to network his calculator to the
internet and doesn't even know what an ethernet card looks like.

Grant

Follow-Ups: References: