Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

Umm... no, Mel, because if Grant were to build it... well...
It would be the first 486 to run MacOS (and reliably, most likely!)
The DMA controller would be a G3.
All the RAM would be some old Nat Semi SF EEPROMs (and you thought that they
stopped production!  Nope, all the mail's been redirected to Grant's house, in
a feat of 3r337 hax0ring skillz that I h4ve y3t to understand :P)
And his IDE controller?  You guessed it, an AVR with heavily optimized mp3
playing code (oops, wrong AVR)
But, it MIGHT outrun his AVR IDE interface setup =P
CK
AIM: Raptor1CK

P.S. Wow, that was fun... =)

Mel Tsai wrote:

> >In real life situations, a 486 DX 33 can't do over 75k a second.  This is
> >with the IDE card from another computer that can easily 300k.  Same HD,
> >same card, just a POS computer.  :(
>
> Grant, I bet you my life that if you designed a system with a 486DX33,
> you would get FAR over 75k/sec from a typical EIDE drive.  I'm not
> talking about the el-cheapo 8-bit IDE controller cards on an el-cheapo
> 1992 486-motherboard.
>
> And where the hell are you getting this 75k/sec thing anyways?  My old
> compuadd 486DX33 desktop can EASILY handle a large file (e.g. > 100mb)
> transfer from my 4x CDROM to the hard drive.  Hrm, more math:  150k x
> 4 = 600kbytes/sec.  But I guess that isn't real-life, eh :)?
>
> >>Just look at the SpecInt's if you're still confused.
> >
> >I know how much a spec sheet says a computer *can* transfer.  The question
> >is realy how much can it transfer when windows uses 13 calls just go get
> >the data...
>
> Grant, oh 3r33t compUt0r hax0r, I said *SpecInt*, not spec sheet.  Go
> look up what SpecInt means :).
>
> -Mel

Follow-Ups: References: