Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

>>>Naw.  I ordered the PPC chip and had it running a fortan interpreter, but i
>>>figured that it would be a waste of time to port an mp3 player to it.  I
>>>ordered the PPC403GC chip.  Its the most cost effective one I could find.
>>>I was talking to someone about the downside of using the 8515 to controll
>>>his cofee maker when he asked me if I'd ever used the PPC chip.
>>
>>Umm, grant :)...
>>
>>So you bought a PPC403GC chip and then created an entire custom board
>>with RAM, ROM, and I/O enough to get it to run a fortran interpreter?
>>How did you make the PCB?
>>
>>Uhhh....
>
>Did you know there are timing problems with directly connecting a hard
>drive to a 68030?  Its going to be h*ll trying to get this thing working...
>Oh well...
>
>So far, you were right.  AVR fat table and hard drive support has taken up
>6 pages.  :)  The 68030 with defrag, write, read, and file controll takes
>up 60 pages, but I didn't write it let alone under stand it.  It was
>written in forth.

Gee, you didn't just avoid all my questions, DID YOU :).

Of course there's going to be timing problems grant... there isn't any
cushy DIOW and DIOR lines or built-in wait states.  In fact, I highly
doubt you'd ever be able to get an 030 directly connected to an IDE
hard drive without some serious glue logic.  Hence the purpose of CHIP
SETS :).

And grant, why is it that you always seem to choose the STUPIDEST
processors for your projects :)?

-Mel

Follow-Ups: References: