Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Zak Smith wrote:

> Hint: you don't have to wait for the LCD to update!  I always type
> ahead on my 'SX - it removes your "waiting" time.

True..  It's still somewhat annoying - makes the calc 'feel' a hell of a
lot slower.

> I'd much rather use Emacs than MS-word for instance:  I can extend whatever
> functions, keystrokes, etc, I want to and change the interface.  This is
> not possible with MS-Word for example.  If you want to do something they
> didn't anticipate, you are SOL.

True - for generic text things (email, etc).  But if you want to make a
real 'document' (ie business plan, wedding invitation, etc, etc, etc)
then
you're going to be screwed with emacs - no wysiwyg, different fonts,
embedding grfx, full justification, etc.  I don't like Word either, I
use
Corel WP8 at home, but I think a word-processor (Word, WP) and a text-
editor (emacs, joe, vi, edit) are really made for different tasks.

> >Maybe you know my officemate (BS/MS ECE, German, something else) - his
> >name is Brian Vanderpool.. Ever heard of him?
>
> <jaw drops>.  Yes, we worked in the same "lab" for the last, umm, 4 years?
> His 3rd major is CS, I believe.

That's hilarious - last Friday was his last day here at IBM, so today I
don't have anybody to talk to.  I worked with him all summer - he's a
very
cool guy.  Even got to ride in his SHO on Friday, that was kinda fun.

Richard

Richard Goedeken                          Dept gy2a  IBM  Rochester,
Minnesota
"The essential conditions of everything you do must be choice, love,
passion."