Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Zak Smith wrote:

> I have an old HP48SX, with a "POLY" library installed.  To factor any
> non-symbolic polynomial, I just enter a list which contains the
> coefficients, ie, to solve x^2 + 2x+ 1 = 0, I use
>
> 1: { 1 2 1 }
> ROOTS, which returns
> 1: {{ -1 -1 }}
>
> this is very fast!

Cool, wish I would have had that..  The built-in spreadsheet-like
function is way too slow..  Of course, just entering a number and
hitting
<enter> had a darn slow response time (at least on my 48gx)..  Probably
.2
to .5 seconds..

> >it has redeeming qualities such as WYSIWYG display and symbolic calc.
>
> Does WYSIWYG make sense for a calc?    The only times I use it on
> the '48 is when I'm using a function I don't remember the parameter
> order for (sum, integral).

It's actually quite nice..  That way if you're copying an expression
from a
book or something you don't need to re-read everything you type to make
sure its correct (parantheses, order of ops, etc).  Just look at what it
displays.

> Symbolic manipulations are very useful, indeed, but I think the power
> of Maple is the minimum needed for them to be useful.   How does the TI
> compare?

The symbolic calculus on the 92 is actually quite impressive - it can
compute
derivatives and integrals that I wouldn't want to touch..  The only
thing that
sucks about it is that it doesn't handle complex exponentials very well
- it
breaks them down into sin/cos.  Other than that it is very slick.

> Of course, I like UNIX and CLI's, not Windows and GUI's.

I used to be die-hard CLI fan, and now I still prefer a CLI, but realize
that
GUIs are useful for some things as well..  I don't like MS, but Windows
has
a fairly well-designed UI..  Sorry, but X sucks ass as the default is
setup,
and I know you can configure the hell out of it, but I'm to lazy and
it's too
much of a pain to do so, so I use win for a lot of stuff.  Plus there's
a ton
of extremely good win apps (Photoshop, 3ds, kai, etc).

http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~smithz
> # Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison MSEE Student.   Geek.   "UNIX - it sucks
less."

Maybe you know my officemate (BS/MS ECE, German, something else) - his
name
is Brian Vanderpool.. Ever heard of him?

Richard Goedeken                          Dept gy2a  IBM  Rochester,
Minnesota
"The essential conditions of everything you do must be choice, love,
passion."