Re: A86: Theory question [i think its about time we....]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Theory question [i think its about time we....]

In a message dated 5/12/99 12:33:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, david@acz.org
writes:

> Seriously, guys, this is a CALCULATOR!!!  These things are designed for
>  doing math, NOT playing games!  I would surmise that even now, no more than
>  50% of people who actively use TI graphing calcs even know about the
>  capability to play games.  Much less do they care about programming for
>  them.  I would doubt that even 0.01% have ever tried to program a TI calc
in
>  assembly.  Why would TI waste all that money (every part that adds a penny
>  to the cost of a product, multiply that by a million or so and you'll see
>  how quickly it adds up...that's why PC hardware like sound cards suck so
>  badly) when people will never use it?

I beg to differ. I don't know HOW many people have bought a calculator just
because they saw someone with games on it. Heck, I only became interested in
calcs when I was messing around with one of the class's 82s and realized that
they were programmable. I had no idea how, although I knew quite a bit of
BASIC and I tried to figure everything out. I got an 85 next Christmas.

I made some interesting BASIC stuff, as I didn't have a graph link for about
a month, and even then it took me like 6 months to get the Q#$(%*#$ thing to
work. But the point of this story is that even with just my stupid BASIC
games, (our favorite was a stock market one) a friend of mine became really
interested, and only bought it just to play my games. Another friend of mine,
who had about 110% in every one of his classes, got one probably just because
I had one.

The point of this long story is that a LARGE portion of graphing calcultor
sales is because of games- more than we realize, and I think that TI knows
that. They are more supportive than most organizations in helping people do
something that is not the intent of the hardware most likely because they
realize that these games sell calculators.

Although it might cost a few thousand dollars to insert some components that
might cost a slight bit more, it could be to their advangage. A powerful math
calculator that is also known for having some of the most fun multiplayer
games available would definately boost sales to far surpass the cost of these
minor upgrades. Not only that, but if this multi-calc network is found to
have other uses (which it inveitably will if it is used enough), there could
be some powerful uses for applications.

Next time you start thining, "It's only a damn calculator," think again. TI
is not against the gaming thing, and if they are, they are out of their mind.
Now, honestly, why did you buy your calcultor?