Re: A86: [OT] Calculator Gaming

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: [OT] Calculator Gaming

I bought my 86 for the sole purpose of learning asm, but I bought my 82
because I need a graping calc for my math class (pretty much a requirement
at my school for Algebra II and beyond).  I did know about it's programming
capabilities, and had seen primitive basic games on the 82 before, but that
didn't influence my decision.  My sophomore year (two years ago), I saw
ZShell for the first time and was stunned.  People who had 85's at my school
were the smart seniors in calculus and such, and ZShell was sort of like a
trade secret.

The year after that was when 82 and 83 asm really hit the "mainstream", and
people became aware of games.  But not until this year has many good games
been available for the 83's, the calcs that 95% of the students at my school
have.  Games might have influenced people this year, and possibly the year
before that somewhat, but not as much as you'd think.  If you took a survery
of everyone at your school who has a graping calc, I think you'd find that
I'm right.

Games do cause calcs to get STOLEN, however.  Showing off ZTetris and Mario
probably won't get Joe Punk who can't pass Math 1 to go buy a $120 calc, but
it just might inspire him to take yours...

> Next time you start thining, "It's only a damn calculator," think again.
TI
> is not against the gaming thing, and if they are, they are out of their
mind.
> Now, honestly, why did you buy your calcultor?

Follow-Ups: References: