Re: A85: Shells and games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Shells and games

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote:

> None of my programs use anything that Usgard has in it.. Therefore my
> programs wouldn't be any smaller if I used usgard!

Your program does not use JUMP_,CALL_,ROM_CALL_,or internal variables??
You do write strange programs...

> OS/7.. It's the smallest shell released.. I like the author's attitude,
> though.. Just made it for himself, released it, and doesn't give a shit
> if people use it or not (unlike certain OTHER shellmakers out there..)

OK, we all know that OS/7 has some good points. In fact almost all of
the shells do. All we're saying is that Usgard has the most good
features, and the most useful ones.

> None of my programs NEED to use external variables..

OK. Not taking into account relocation (since you don't make jps and
calls) not everyone's programs will automatically be optimized for
Usgard. But writing NEW programs for Usgard gives you lots of power,
power that would take up lots of space in other shells.

And of course, you might not need these features. That is fine. If I
wrote a shell specifically to support only MY programs, I guarantee that
it would be about 1K and would have all of the features I need, without
losing any speed (probably gaining some). But why would anyone use a
shell with only my programs? They are not that good. If I were the only
one using these programs, I might make such a shell.

Obviously OS/7 is the right shell for you. But in general Usgard is the
right shell for people who want to make programs with widespread users.
(All the programmers I know)

I do not know of any other use for a specialized shell (hmm, maybe one
that takes all the memory? the Daedalus shell maybe? It might be faster
because you can load one single program on to the backup, the relocation
to name one feature would be faster. hmm...)

> Oh, so just because I don't use what Usgard has in it my programs are
> strange?

Your program does not use JUMP_,CALL_,ROM_CALL_, internal variables,
permanant external variables, interrupts, TSR's, standard routines?? You
do write strange programs.

> Don't any of you read the messages?  My comment was that the Shell that
> is best for a programmer all depends on what he programs, and has
> nothing to do with his competence!!

Sure it does, in most cases. I was referring to 99% of the TI-85
assembly programmers out there: Programmers who make programs for the
general public, and not specifically for themselves. (The other case is
Mac users. I've heard that CAZ does not handle the Usgard relocation
like TASM can. But I'm assuming that 99% of Mac users are incompetent :)

--
Terry Peng <tpeng@geocities.com>

Follow-Ups: References: