Re: A85: Shells and games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Shells and games

Jimmy Mårdell wrote:

> Well, yes, but some things just CAN'T be done in ZShell, at least not
> in a good way: TSR programs becomes very inconveniant, VAR_DELETE and
> VAR_RESIZE becomes more or less impossible etc

The main thing is what you program for... If you _WANT_ to create,
delete, and resize variables, then maybe you prefer one shell!  If you
don't use any of the features of Usgard, you can get annoyed by them and
prefer something else (as in my case..).  I happen to be an optimization
nut!  Everything has to be as small as possible!

> You also have to take in account that Usgard (and phatos) programs
> becomes smaller. If the same programs were made for both ZShell and usgard
> for example, you would be able to put more usgard programs on the
> calculator because even if usgard is 600 bytes bigger than a zshell
> compatible shell, those 600 bytes are saved because of relocation. My
> point is that just because a shell is small doesn't make it better.

Actually, I've found a version of OS/7 which uses relocation (phatos
type, though optimized), and is still the smallest shell around..  As
I've said above, I'm an optimization nut!  The smaller it is, the
better!

> Btw, what do you mean with "junk"? Junk is something that can be removed
> without any loss, but I don't see anything in Usgard that is unnecessary...
> the usgard team has carefully selected routines that are used by most
> programs to include in the shell.

I have not had any games on my calc in over half a year!  My own
programs (the only stuff I have on the calc), don't use any of the
"features" of Usgard, so I see it pointless to use it on my calc.. This
means that (to me) all the things Usgard has in it are junk..

--
*  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart  *

Follow-Ups: References: