Re: LZ: Usgard

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Usgard

Jim Reardon wrote:

> At first I was really interested in Usgard, but when it was released I
> was sorta disapointed.
>
> First off, size postings were very misleading.  Sure the shell is only
> 4k, but then your interface, a bunch of libraries, and the whole shebang
> didn't leave me with much space for programs.

Bah... it amazes me that so many people can be so stupid (sorry, but that's
true) to not understand the beauty of Usgard. Put on the small Usgard
backup, run it once, delete the game (bombswep) and the patchrom file.
You will now have an almost COMPLETE installation of Usgard that will run
practically EVERY program, and it takes 4,6k string memory. You
now have about 19k left (umm... can someone explain why there is not
23k left!?!? I though the 85 had 28k user ram). You now have 19k free (should
be 23k) for games, USGARD games (they will come, that's a promise). If those
games were converted to ZShell, they would most likely not fit on the calc!

> Programming for Usgard, while I just "dabbled" is quite nice.  Relocation
> is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Libraries, though, don't save
> as much memory as I thought they would (mostly because I still have
> mostly ZShell games, plus not much space is left after the shell is put
> on).  Some of the new CALLs look helpful and very promising.

If you have mostly ZShell games, you choose ZShell of course (or CShell or
whatever), but when Usgard cames start coming, they will dominate.

> So now my debate continues: develop for ZShell or for Usgard?  What does
> everyone else think?  What shell are you personally going to stick with
> and use?

Usgard of course. If all games in the future were made for Usgard, there
would be more games (because it's easier to program using libraries &
relocation), you could have more games on the calc at the same time, and
you would have cooler games. I intend to develop lots of stuff for Usgard
this summer, to make it the no 1 shell. I will not, and I hope no other
Usgard programmer neither will, convert my games to ZShell.

--
Jimmy Mårdell                   "Searching for shelter
mailto:mja@algonet.se            My brain is on ice

Follow-Ups: References: