Re: LZ: Re: Gameboy Drive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: Gameboy Drive

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:00:54 -0400, you wrote:

>:They use "masked" roms, which are really cheap if they're made in huge
>:quantities (like gameboy games are...).  They're permanent, and you
>:can't alter them without destroying it.
>
>:That would be interesting, though, to write a gameboy emulator for the
>:TI-85, but anyone got a year of their life to spare?
>
>:-Mel
>:----------
>
>Actually it wouldn't be too terribly difficult.  I stumbled upon a =
gameboy
>hacking page in my quest for z80 stuff.  It turns out gameboy is a z80 =
so
>the games wouldn't be too hard to port.  Unfortuneatetly the games are
>usually around 64K, a few being only about 32K, this is due to the use =
of
>ceartain libraries.  But with the expander, a gameboy emulator could =
work.=20
>Or how about a ti emulator for gameboy :)
>
>Mike

Unless you are a gameboy game developer (and know what you're doing),
it would be almost impossible.  All the graphics routines, memory
pointers, sound, game pad input, etc. will all have to be changed.  On
the fly routine rerouting?  Maybe on a pentium, but not on a 6mhz Z80.

By the time you figure out everything that needs to be changed (i.e.
disassembling the game and seeing how it works) you could have totally
rewritten the game for the TI-85.

-Mel