Re: LZ: Re: Gameboy Drive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: Gameboy Drive

> From: Mike Berry <waterboy@oeonline.com>
>
> :They use "masked" roms, which are really cheap if they're made in huge
> :quantities (like gameboy games are...).  They're permanent, and you
> :can't alter them without destroying it.
>
> :That would be interesting, though, to write a gameboy emulator for the
> :TI-85, but anyone got a year of their life to spare?
>
> :-Mel
> :----------
>
> Actually it wouldn't be too terribly difficult.  I stumbled upon a
gameboy
> hacking page in my quest for z80 stuff.  It turns out gameboy is a z80 so
> the games wouldn't be too hard to port.  Unfortuneatetly the games are
> usually around 64K, a few being only about 32K, this is due to the use of
> ceartain libraries.  But with the expander, a gameboy emulator could
work.
> Or how about a ti emulator for gameboy :)

Umm...yeah, if we "forget" about the GameBoy's extra hardware (stereo
sound, real gs screen (layered), screen size, etc) not to mention that,
like the 85, the GB does not have a true z80... Oh yeah, where do you
expect to find the source code to Super Mario Land, or Mortal Kombat?  Or
any othet GB game (of course, if we used your second idea, the em, that
wouldn't be a problem, but realistically, an emulator on the 85 wouldn't
work)?  Anyways, it would be too slow (try XC-1701, which gets REAL slow,
when you have a lot of sprites, with 4 grayscales, and thats not even
emulating anything...)

> Mike

; Max Mansour,       // mail : mmansour@gis.net
; self proclaimed   // irc : Justarius
; dictator.        // web : maxwww.home.ml.org
;
;         come visit my handheld pages
;      (OmniGo, Windows CE, TI-85/ZShell)
;
;              Drugs for Doughnuts !
;     Crack, smack, weed, speed, you want it,
;     I got it.  I can be found in the nearest
;     deep-fried pastry establishment.
;     I'm the one with the badge and the gun.

.end