Re: TI-H: I know I'm going to regret this...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: I know I'm going to regret this...

From: J D <starkruzr@hotmail.com>
>> Before my time, I started programming on the TRS-80 model III, and that
was
> >in
> >basic.  I started with Turbo Pascal 3 when we got the then $3000 Epson
QX-16
> >(with dual Z80 and 8088 processors, pretty knifty system, still runs
too).

> Still runs?!  On what?  CP/M?!

Yes indeed, it will run CP/M or MS-DOS (some sub version of 2).  Generally
it sits
in the ValDocs main menu.  Anybody remember that?

Thats the machine I learned most of what I know of assembly language in,
using
nothing but an 8088 instruction set listing, dos debug and the SideKick text
editor TSR.  I actually wrote some stuff that worked.  Like a little program
that
would change the font that DOS used.  You had to draw the characters in
every
time you wanted to change something.

>> What I find amusing is that while I'm still relatively young (24), many
of
>> the new
>> programmers I run into haven't a clue how to use DOS.
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  THAT I find to be quite pathetic but unfortunately
> not too unlikely.  In the GUI age of modern computing, no one needs the
poor
> little command-line anymore....::sniffle::

Well, I can't complain too much, I prefer a GUI, but at least I know how to
use
a command line...

What I do complain about is GUI's that are difficult to use, thats annoying.

DK

Follow-Ups: References: