Re: A89: Re: TI-GCC IDE v2.4 with Syntax Highlighting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: TI-GCC IDE v2.4 with Syntax Highlighting

Hi!

| Cygwin installs for 20 minutes on any Win98/NT and is free. Just try it.
| Or at least read more about it. http://www.cygnus.com/cygwin/
| I don't remember the size, but some time ago the zip file was around 10MB.
| Now it downloads itself. You just need this
| ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe
| (424 Kb)

Sorry.  You misunderstood me.  I was talking about the IDE, which just uses
GCC, but has nothing to do with it.  In order to port the IDE, you would
have to get Delphi for Linux.

| Just think about the debugger gdb. It will be pain to make it debug TI,
| but if/when it starts to work... :-)))))))

Together with VTI and the linker, it might be possible.

| Some people find C++ very natural. My area is not C++ by itself and no
| GUI at all. I am in symbolic calculation (that's why I am interested
| in TI89). This is area dominated by Mathematica, Maple, Reduce,
| Maxima, Macsyma, Axiom, MuPAD,.... big monster programs compared to
| TI89.

C++?  Natural?  The syntax is a pain, and the way objects are static by
default just makes it worse.  I wonder what Borland C++ is like, but it's
probably as portable as Delphi to Pascal (read: no way).

| I think you didn't look at glade... But it is your right to use
| Delphi.

Thanks.

| Just in this way the results will not be portable and I am not
| sure how free Delphi for Linux will be... Is it going to be
| available in source?....???

Delphi 4 for Windows, with sources for the VCL (Visual Component Library),
cost me 250 DM ($125).  This is because I'm a student.  It also implies that
I cannot commercially distribute my programs.  The real version costs 1500
DM ($750).

| Please understand my post in correct way. The efforts are nice. But TI
| is looking at TI calculators as college tools for kids and nothing more.
| It is pain for me to see this. TI89 is very powerfull and with the
| right approach not only games can be good for it. It can do some very
| interesting things, but this needs some more effort. I can not
| contribute if I don't have the right tools.

In my opinion, TI is just afraid of a growing TI community.  They probably
think it will grow over their heads, with students creating everything TI
gets its money for.  At least that would explain why their SDK is so
limited.  I wonder whether they are going to obstruct us some way in the
near future, like making a new AMS with no support for previous ASM games,
and making it illegal to distribute their previous AMS.  I don't know.
Maybe I'm wrong, and they just don't see where the movement is going here.
But I'm pretty sure that their primary fear is loss of profits.

As for the right tools, if you have Windows, they are there.  If you don't,
you should probably get it and keep it as a secondary OS until Linux takes
over the world. :-)

Bye,

Sebastian Reichelt

Follow-Ups: References: