Re: A89: Re: TI-GCC IDE v2.4 with Syntax Highlighting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 03:02:50PM -0400, Sebastian Reichelt wrote:

|Hi!
|
|| I would like to suggest someting, which IMHO in the future mey help
|| quite a lot with TI-GCC, IDE, ....
|| Please, make them portable, so that UNIX and especially Linux users
|| can use them too.
|
|With the IDE this might be possible, but I can't do it myself.  I don't have
|enough disk space to install two systems at a time, and not enough money to
|buy the required programming equipment.

Cygwin installs for 20 minutes on any Win98/NT and is free. Just try it.
Or at least read more about it. http://www.cygnus.com/cygwin/
I don't remember the size, but some time ago the zip file was around 10MB.
Now it downloads itself. You just need this
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe
(424 Kb)

I don't say anything about changing the systems. I say something about
portability, which is necessary condition for NOT changing the systems
without real need.

| Maybe someone else can do it.
|Delphi for Linux is coming out soon or has already come out (go to
|www.inprise.com - I'm too lazy now).  I'd be happy to provide the porter
|with all necessary information about the code.

There is a working patch for GNU GCC
http://www.ticalc.org/pub/unix/tigcc.tar.gz
This is one step away from cygwin. Actually cygwin is a port of gcc to
Win32 platform itself. Including tons of other goods like bash,....

bc binutils bison byacc bzip2 cpio cvs cygwin diffutils expect
file fileutils findutils flex fortune ftp gas gawk gcc gdb gnuchess
gprof grep groff gzip inetutils itcl itk ksh ld less libcurses libjpeg
libtermcap libtiff login m4 make man more ncurses perl rx/regex sed
shell-utils tar tcl tcsh telnet termcap texinfo textutuils time tix tk
vim wget which xemacs zip/unzip zlib

Just think about the debugger gdb. It will be pain to make it debug TI,
but if/when it starts to work... :-)))))))

|| IMHO, TI-GCC should be made to work as add-on to cygnus cygwin
|| http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/
|| This will give UNIX users a cross-compiler and will benefit from
|| active development in GCC for many languages, including Fortran.
|
|Please stop bashing on TI-GCC like that.

I do not agree, that I was "bashing". This is great job, which gives a
lot of promissing hopes for the future.

| Even though it's only for Windows,
|the Doors team has still done a great job on it.  I'm sure there is a reason
|for the Doors team not to use cygnus cygwin directly.  (It uses cygwin1.dll,
|though.)

I don't know what exactly they are using, but if they use the cygwin.dll, then
they use the partial POSIX emulation layer, which cygwin.dll represents by itself.
If there is such DLL, they use cygwin for *sure*!!! Probably it is not
visible to the "end user", but they are using it.

| If you don't have Windows, that's pretty much your own fault, and
|you shouldn't expect programmers to do the same work several times.

That's *exacly* what I say. Cygwin is a common tool between UNIX and
Win32. If something is made to compile with cygwin on Win32 for TI,
then this is a cross-compiler and the source for gcc can be patched
with it to obtain a working cross-compiler for
Linux/BSD/Solaris/[you_name_it]

|(Note that this is not supposed to offend you in any way.  If it sounds like
|it, I'm sorry.)

|| TI-IDE should use portable GUI like GTK or QT, but I am not sure if QT
|| is free for Win32.
|| http://www.gtk.org/
|| http://glade.pn.org/
|| http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/
|
|If you want to port it to C++, then please do it yourself.  Unfortunately,
|C++ really sucks.  And, as I said, I think that Delphi programming for Linux
|will be possible soon.

Some people find C++ very natural. My area is not C++ by itself and no
GUI at all. I am in symbolic calculation (that's why I am interested
in TI89). This is area dominated by Mathematica, Maple, Reduce,
Maxima, Macsyma, Axiom, MuPAD,.... big monster programs compared to
TI89.

I used Derive about 8 years ago. Later TI bought Derive and the
Computer Algebra System you see in TI89 is a modified Derive. There is
very interesting work in using C++ for symbolic calculations, but it
is very heavy UNIX dependent http://www.ginac.de/. Parts of it can be
adapted for TI89 if the appropriate tools exist. There is NO way to
use it without VERY heavy modifications if the UNIX toolchain (like
Cygnus for Win32) is not available.

I think you didn't look at glade... But it is your right to use
Delphi. Just in this way the results will not be portable and I am not
sure how free Delphi for Linux will be... Is it going to be
available in source?....???

|| Please, do not split the efforts. As I see, TI will not produce any
|| good SDK. The only way to make some use of this calculator is for the
|| community to create the things.
|
|I think so.  Read Zeljko's new post; it looks like it doesn't even meet our
|needs.  (8K limit?  What can you program with that?  Hello World, maybe?)
|
|Bye,
|
|Sebastian Reichelt

Please understand my post in correct way. The efforts are nice. But TI
is looking at TI calculators as college tools for kids and nothing more.
It is pain for me to see this. TI89 is very powerfull and with the
right approach not only games can be good for it. It can do some very
interesting things, but this needs some more effort. I can not
contribute if I don't have the right tools.

--JS

Follow-Ups: References: