Re: A89: Re: TI-GCC IDE v2.4 with Syntax Highlighting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 04:38:51PM -0400, Sebastian Reichelt wrote:

|Hi!
|
|| Cygwin installs for 20 minutes on any Win98/NT and is free. Just try it.
|| Or at least read more about it. http://www.cygnus.com/cygwin/
|| I don't remember the size, but some time ago the zip file was around 10MB.
|| Now it downloads itself. You just need this
|| ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe
|| (424 Kb)
|
|Sorry.  You misunderstood me.  I was talking about the IDE, which just uses
|GCC, but has nothing to do with it.  In order to port the IDE, you would
|have to get Delphi for Linux.

I am afraid we both miss the point. My idea is NOT to port *this* IDE.
A program writen in Delphi is not a candidate for porting, so I just
plain forget about this. :(

My idea is mainly for TI-GCC to be portable. I can make "IDE" for me in
VIM for 1 hour including syntax highliting. ;) Well... not many people
like to work in vi-ish IDE, but if you get used to this, you are
broken forever. If your IDE is portable too, this would be very nice,
but as somebody mentioned here, many things can not be done in IDE.
The "raw" Makefile is sometimes the best thing for speed and size.

|| Just think about the debugger gdb. It will be pain to make it debug TI,
|| but if/when it starts to work... :-)))))))
|
|Together with VTI and the linker, it might be possible.

Not sure about this. You speak about different thing. VTI is (kind of)
debugger by itself. But it is ASM debugger. It is not
C/C++/Ada/Fortran/[any_other_language_supported_in_gcc] debugger.
While VTI is very good, in many complicated situations it will
delay the things very much.

|| Some people find C++ very natural. My area is not C++ by itself and no
|| GUI at all. I am in symbolic calculation (that's why I am interested
|| in TI89). This is area dominated by Mathematica, Maple, Reduce,
|| Maxima, Macsyma, Axiom, MuPAD,.... big monster programs compared to
|| TI89.
|
|C++?  Natural?  The syntax is a pain, and the way objects are static by
|default just makes it worse.  I wonder what Borland C++ is like, but it's
|probably as portable as Delphi to Pascal (read: no way).

I have a very fresh example with the free Borland 5.5 compiler
compared to cygwin. The cygwin compiled code was 19 KB, while the
bcc32 compiled code was 73KB. Cygwin code was not linked to
cygwin.dll. Just to Windows dll-s, so this is not the reason why it
was smaller. Cygwin code was faster also and compiled cleanly, while
the "ANSI" bcc was giving warnings about stupid things.

|| I think you didn't look at glade... But it is your right to use
|| Delphi.
|
|Thanks.
|
|| Just in this way the results will not be portable and I am not
|| sure how free Delphi for Linux will be... Is it going to be
|| available in source?....???
|
|Delphi 4 for Windows, with sources for the VCL (Visual Component Library),
|cost me 250 DM ($125).  This is because I'm a student.  It also implies that
|I cannot commercially distribute my programs.  The real version costs 1500
|DM ($750).

My God!!!

|| Please understand my post in correct way. The efforts are nice. But TI
|| is looking at TI calculators as college tools for kids and nothing more.
|| It is pain for me to see this. TI89 is very powerfull and with the
|| right approach not only games can be good for it. It can do some very
|| interesting things, but this needs some more effort. I can not
|| contribute if I don't have the right tools.
|
|In my opinion, TI is just afraid of a growing TI community.  They probably
|think it will grow over their heads, with students creating everything TI
|gets its money for.  At least that would explain why their SDK is so
|limited.  I wonder whether they are going to obstruct us some way in the
|near future, like making a new AMS with no support for previous ASM games,
|and making it illegal to distribute their previous AMS.  I don't know.
|Maybe I'm wrong, and they just don't see where the movement is going here.
|But I'm pretty sure that their primary fear is loss of profits.

I tend to agree with you. But some internal information I get from TI
suggests, that it is also the question about plain simple stupidity.
They don't know how to do this and are afraid to make something wrong.
That's why they prefer to do nothing or very little.

|As for the right tools, if you have Windows, they are there.  If you don't,
|you should probably get it and keep it as a secondary OS until Linux takes
|over the world. :-)

I look around and see 5 Win98 + 1 W2K + 1 Sun + 1 Linux. I miss Mac
only. I don't think I need a secondary OS. Plenty of primary OS-es.
Plus there is a thing named Vmware (www.vmware.com)

;-) These tools are nice and I admire them. But in this form they are
appropriate only for relatively simple tasks like games. They are
still much better compared to what comes from TI.

I have to retire from this nice conversation and go to sleep. Wish you
good luck!

--JS

Follow-Ups: References: