[TI-H] Re: Building your own calculator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TI-H] Re: Building your own calculator

not to piss on your parade, but you've got a whole lot of work ahead of you.
it's the reason TI has a design team funded by millions of dollars and
engineers with PhD's.

probably the largest problem is the board itself. you have to design a
circuit board from scratch that includes a CPU, memory, display, clock, and
all the circuitry necessary to support them all. rip open your TI sometime.
you have to re-create that. then you have to have your design printed by a
one-off board printer, which will cost you around $300, depending on how
many layers of copper end up in your board.

it would be easier and maybe wiser to start with something a bit simpler;
have you ever built a simple microcomputer before? make yourself a little
microcontroller, a PIC would be perfect, and program it. assemble it on a
breadboard or perfboard. then you can work up to more complex tasks, like a
microcomputer built around the z80. this essentially WOULD be a calculator,
if you programmed it -- the TI-82/3 and TI-85/6 are powered by the z80.

if you want to build a portable computer that kicks ass, try the LART. you
can find info at http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/. the LART is a small
StrongARM-based computer that was designed to pack as much power into as
small a design as possible.

obviously, you're not going to be able to design your own microcomputer from
scratch without any electrical engineering knowledge. i probably could, but
i have 3 years of EE behind me. even so, it would be far easier to work with
an existing design. there are many schematics for simple PIC setups that you
could assemble on a breadboard, or if you feel comfortable with fine-pitch
surface-mount soldering and you have a good iron, a steady hand, and a
decent magnifier, you could do your own PCB work with something like the
LART.

good luck,

--nick