Re: TI-H: Since the list has been DEAD lately... (off topic too :)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Since the list has been DEAD lately... (off topic too :)

From: Jeff Dezur <jeffd@wwnet.net>
>I'm trying to make a
>sort of "remote" for my computer.

>I want to get rid of the little touchpad mouse I've got for it.

>I was wanting to know, since the com port in the computer
>is used for the gps, is there a way to design a remote control
>using the input lines off the parallel port?

>I was thinking, was that I needed like 12 buttons
>for the control of it

There is a much simpler input device that you might consider,
and its very cheap too, although it will require a bit of fabrication
work if you want it to look very nice.  This device is called a
keyboard.  Go buy or salvage a functional keyboard, and take
it all the way apart, remove the controller board and the keypad
matrix.  Trace down the wires required for the 12 or so buttons
you need ('a' through 'z' work quite well for up to 26 buttons),
and then hook up 12 small switches to trigger the appropriate
lines.

If you need a real keyboard plugged in to do anything you can
install a keyboard switch somewhere, to switch between the
partial keyboard and a full keyboard (most mother boards
don't have a problem with disconnecting they keyboard while
running).

DK

... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking
programs.
                -- Robert Firth