Re: TI-H: Since the list has been DEAD lately... (off topic too :)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Since the list has been DEAD lately... (off topic too :)

OR why dont you just use the UIR like everyone else?
like a million people have done the car computer thing...
go look on the net most of them use UIR.

> Since this list has been dead lately, and I think I've
received 3 messages
> in the past 3 days, here's something to talk about. I'm
trying to make a
> sort of "remote" for my computer. Now you're probably
thinking "why does he
> need a remote for his computer? Just use the mouse!" well,
the problem is
> the computer's in my car. it does all the necessities,
like play mp3s, do
> the GPS thing, play more mp3s, play an audio cd, etc...
and it all gets
> outputted onto the color LCD display panel. Now, its
running win95 (the gps
> only has software for it under '95), and I want to get rid
of the little
> touchpad mouse I've got for it. I have it set up so the
GPS is fullscreened
> when I turn it on, and the mp3 player is just in the
bottom left corner just
> outta the way, but its active so I can control it, and
still see the gps.
> but, I need to move it back & forth when I want to play
something different.
> ITS A PAIN IN THE &%*. well, I was wanting to know, since
the com port in
> the computer is used for the gps, is there a way to design
a remote control
> using the input lines off the parallel port? the screen
uses part of the
> parallel port that I modified to be a power plug (giving
the necessary +5,
> +12, etc. I hacked at it & changed it.) so I can take it
apart later w/o
> cutting wires. Well, what I was thinking, was that I
needed like 12 buttons
> for the control of it, but the parallel port only has 5
that I can use
> directly w/o a lot of work. Is there a way that I could
make a PIC or
> something that could scan the 12 buttons, notice a change,
and send it
> through the port on only 4 wires (seems like the right
number if I used a
> bit of math, then I could use 1+0+0+0 to be like play,
0+1+0+0 for pause,
> etc.)
> Well, I have no idea how to write the code for this, and
know a little bit
> of c++ and primarily visual basic (easyest to learn), but
programming a PIC,
> well, thats outta my knowledge. I've looked it up on the
internet, and I
> know how to make the programmer for it, but thats about
it. Anyone wanna
> help?
>
> -jeff d
>
> P.S. Sorry if the message is too long.. Got carried away..
and sorry its off