Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

>>From: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>
>>NT isn't decent for anything though.
>
>Perhaps for you, it works well enough for lots of other
>people tho.  Maybe you just don't know how to use it ;)

Lets see...  $400 for the OS and 5 users.  $900 more for e-mail.  I don't
get it...

Linux - Does 10x more than NT, is standard amoung network servers.  Cost?
4 hours of download or $10.  Unlimited users.

>Really though, as has been said many times before, each
>OS has its own strenghts.
>Also, I don't know many people who would switch operating
>systems just so they could run a list server when there is
>software available for their current OS (and I didn't know
>what OS he was using).

NT is a cheep network os.  the only people that use it are the ones that
can't afford a tech to install linux.  If they went to their local high
school or middle school, they could pickup a kid to install and maintain
linux.

I run MKLinux (RedHat PPC), Linux (RedHat x86), NetBSD, and a variant of
AT&T + Berkley Linux.

I also used to run NT 3.51, but quickly transhed it.  My SE/30 16MHz and
386 20 both serve www pages faster than a PII 166MHz with NT.

Linux can be run on just about any computer you find in the trash and prove
to be a wonderful machine.

Grant

Follow-Ups: References: