Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Grant Stockly wrote:

> I run MKLinux (RedHat PPC), Linux (RedHat x86), NetBSD, and a variant of
> AT&T + Berkley Linux.

Just for a minor bit of trivia to store away, just what is this thing you
call "AT&T + Berkley Linux"?  I'll have to assume you mean UNIX in
general, as there are currently no major Linux patches coming out of UCB.
And, well, I'm sure you know this, but Berkely UNIX _WAS_ AT&T UNIX.  The
BSD was a set of patches for sites who already licensed UNIX(tm) from
AT&T/Bell Labs.  For anyone else to use it was illegal (not that it didn't
happen anyway, though).  The whole point of the early NetBSD/FreeBSD
efforts was to rewrite the remaining portions of AT&T code using free
code to make the BSD patchset a complete OS, allowing the use of the BSD
patches without owning AT&T UNIX.

> I also used to run NT 3.51, but quickly transhed it.  My SE/30 16MHz and
> 386 20 both serve www pages faster than a PII 166MHz with NT.

Can you please take a picture of a 166MHz Pentium II?  That has got to be
some sight!

Tell me, just what Linux are you running on your SE/30?  If you're still
using NetBSD/mac68k, you should check out the latest Linux/mac68k.  For
the SE/30 is one of it's most stable platforms these days.

> Linux can be run on just about any computer you find in the trash and prove
> to be a wonderful machine.

Finding computers in the trash is what I do (though I prefer to get them
BEFORE they hit the trash, as the smell can be quite annoying at times).

You want to talk real m68k-based workstations? Sun3's are some of the
best.

This offtopic posting is easier than it looks! Try it!

af

Adam Fritzler                           |
  afritz@delphid.ml.org                 | Animals who are not penguins can
    afritz@iname.com                    |    can only wish they were.
      http://delphid.ml.org/~afritz/    |        -- Chicago Reader
        http://www.pst.com/             |               15 Oct 1982