Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

NT is NOT a cheap network OS.  It's large, expensive, and hides the user from
the low-level activity of the system.
In short, a networking OS for dummies.  I won't go into instability or speed.
You gain speed through optimizing your configuration, and lose stability by
changing your configuration when you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing.
Those two ideas also apply to Unix variants of all types.
As for getting a tech, There's a simpler solution, for only $29 + shipping and
handling.
Get the official Red Hat Linux for your system.  READ THE MANUAL and install
it.  Learn Linux.  Like Linux, Master Linux.  That's $25.
Get Debian 2.0 (binaries and source).  Redhat does the same thing as NT,
protects you from the internals.  Once you've "mastered" Redhat, you can move
on to Debian, which is by far the best Linux distro out there.  NetBSD might be
the only thing that will run on an iMac, though, thanks to that USB deal...

Use Win95/98 for only 1 thing: Games.  Plain and simple, DirectX 6 and so on
are gaining a hold on the market.  If you really MUST play the latest games,
that'll be a partition on your hard drive that's FAT, but you can also mount it
under Linux for those games that are playable on both platforms.

z80

CK

Grant Stockly wrote:

> >>From: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>
> >>NT isn't decent for anything though.
> >
> >Perhaps for you, it works well enough for lots of other
> >people tho.  Maybe you just don't know how to use it ;)
>
> Lets see...  $400 for the OS and 5 users.  $900 more for e-mail.  I don't
> get it...
>
> Linux - Does 10x more than NT, is standard amoung network servers.  Cost?
> 4 hours of download or $10.  Unlimited users.
>
> >Really though, as has been said many times before, each
> >OS has its own strenghts.
> >Also, I don't know many people who would switch operating
> >systems just so they could run a list server when there is
> >software available for their current OS (and I didn't know
> >what OS he was using).
>
> NT is a cheep network os.  the only people that use it are the ones that
> can't afford a tech to install linux.  If they went to their local high
> school or middle school, they could pickup a kid to install and maintain
> linux.
>
> I run MKLinux (RedHat PPC), Linux (RedHat x86), NetBSD, and a variant of
> AT&T + Berkley Linux.
>
> I also used to run NT 3.51, but quickly transhed it.  My SE/30 16MHz and
> 386 20 both serve www pages faster than a PII 166MHz with NT.
>
> Linux can be run on just about any computer you find in the trash and prove
> to be a wonderful machine.
>
> Grant

Follow-Ups: References: