Re: TI-H: TI Network - TIN

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI Network - TIN

>1. As a programmer, you should know that a compiled app for one calc will
>not run on another without an "emulator" of sorts.  I don't think that an 86
>prog would run on an 82, do you?  And what about the 89/92?  They even have
>a different processor!  How the heck could you run an 82/83/85/86 prog
>natively on an 89/92/92+?  The ZTetris linking protocal is the only thing
>cross-calc about it.  If you don't believe me, find someone at school with a
>different calc than yours without ZTetris, and try to send it to them.

Yes.  But porting an easy program like the I2C driver is easy.  Most of it
is simple timing and I/O.  Comeon.  As a programmer, you should know that.
:)

>2. I think that the best way to handle multi-calc storage is for the calc to
>attach an ID to the stored file, so another calc could see that "hey, this
>just isn't my thing", and wouldn't run it.  I do not know if things such as
>lists and matrices are cross-calc or not, but I imagine that an 82/83 list
>would need to convert to an 85/86 list, which would need to convert to an
>89/92 list.  (I hope I am wrong here.)

The lists can be stored anyway you want.  It depends how you store the
bytes to the EEPROM.  If you knew the formatting you could just store it in
a generic format and then format it specifically for each calc when the
driver writes it to ram.

>3. And about addresses, this just means that more calcs can attach, right?
>So, if everyone in school that had a calc, they all would be able to use
>this network?  How is this going to be implemented?  I don't think that
>someone is acctually going to build a 200+ hub/connector.  Or, is it
>possible to connect multiple hub/connectors together?

I'm working on an ethernet to parallel/I2C converter so you could just
subnet I2C networks using the UDP protocall.  :)  That would be cool...  If
I spent the time to figure out the new ARM+NET chip we could have dial-in
access for calcs and they could use the net.  :)

I think a special 'basic' (or such) should be written for all calcs, but
programs can be run off the I2C net.  THe programs could be tokenized and
calcs like the 85/86/89/92 could just stretch the screen output to size an
82/83 calcs.  Just an idea...  Then every netprogram would work on any
calc...

Grant

Follow-Ups: References: