Re: TI-H: General questions with a possibly big im

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Samuel Camp wrote:

> >I'm not saying I'm some kind of godlike hacker, but
> >I learned more about code optimization by using a
> >slow machine than most ppl will learn on a fast one.
> >Big-O notation is worthless... writing up my own
> >version of PlainJump on a 386, liking the speed,
> >and then watching it crawl on my XT is what taught
> >me that I had to code better.
>
> With the advent of faster and increasingly faster CPU power, I've noticed
> that professional programmers get sloppier and sloppier with their
> programming.  Therefore there should be some sort of law that states that
> all commercial programmers should program and test their code on
> computers at least 4-5 generations older than the current generation,
> resulting in amazing programs that ROCK on a P][, G3 or whatever you
> have.
>
> Sam
>
> He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool, shun him.
> He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child, teach him.
> He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep, wake him.
> He who knows and knows that he knows is wise, follow him.

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

  There is a reason for that phenomenon. See, Programmers think if they keep
writing increasingly bloated software so you have to buy increasingly
'faster' hardware. (And to Grant, Nothing can be written about this about
Macs, but who really cares about Macs?!? They only have 4% of the market <And
that includes the few non-existant clones>, and by 2005 <Or was it sooner?>
they are only expected to have less than 2%. What developer in their right
mind develops for an declining platform. Take Quake, it is ported by an
outside company. There are few companies activly developing for Macs. On top
of that, give it up, anything you magic Mac can do, there is a computer out
there which can do it better and faster. Oh yeah, they built IBM compatible
PPC based computers, but you don't care. I understand you are a typical Mac
user, Mac to the end. Macs are dying, it is time for you to find a new IBM
computer. Rant over.)

Now, to something with validity. With all these expanders and stuff, TI is
neat, but in reality, what would be cool is robotics controls. No one on here
has done something along these lines. My idea, make an expander that controls
say, 10 motors. Use legos to make up the robot, heck, use paper, then you
wouldn't need an external power source.... ; )

Adam

Follow-Ups: References: