Re: TI-H: Back to basics

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Back to basics

>I have "sourcecode" to a fractal based video compression algorithm
>that gets 100000000:1 compression.  Big deal :).

Well, I programme my source code.  I guess a 14 year old can't be treated
well once he makes one mistake...

>And as for this MP3 player thing...  Exactly what are you trying to
>accomplish with it?  First of all, as you know, you can't exactly buy
>the MAS3507D decoder chip at rat shack.

Nope.  But you can buy it from Texas at $28 a chip.

>Hence the reason you were
>bitching about calling germany, I assume :)?

I gave up wit da loosers.

>You said you dealt with
>switchers before, does this mean you're using the chip's onboard DC-DC
>converter?

maybe/maybe not.  It depends on what the user wants to do.

>How are you handling the logic level conversion between
>the AVR and the micronas?

Using the same voltage.  they can both handle the same voltage.  If I run
into problems, i'll just throw in some pullup/down.

>What about the analog signal isolation at
>the DAC, which could cause SHITTY sounding output?

The DAC gets its own power supply.  I have an old computer supply (from a
SUN) taht gives 2 +5 volt sources that I will regulate to provide a digital
power source and an analogue.

>I highly doubt you
>have the analog design experience to design a PCB that limits the
>ground bounce that's gonna happen at the DAC.

Oh well.  My girlfriend is out of state.  What else is there to do at 14.

>But then again, it
>won't really matter because who DOESN'T like fuzzy static background
>noises while they're listening to their favorite MP3 :)?

Well, then maybe they should make it better.  I'm posting the
instructions/plans/schematics on the net so they can make it.

>Second, what are you doing for your DAC?

In my prototype I've used the 3550A.

>Which DAC were you planning
>on using?

I can't use that in the released version, thats why the plans are not on
the net yet.  I'm waiting for a DAC I beleive to the specs will work.

>In case you haven't figured it out, the DAC that came with
>the little "kit" you begged for isn't exactly mainstream.

I didn't beg for any kit.  I bought a $28 decoder and a $9 pre-production
sample of the 3550A dac.

>What about
>the oscillator source for the MAS?

I can change the PLL something or other to make it work fine.

>It requires an oddballish clock
>rate that cannot be found in mainstream catalogs unless you change the
>on-chip PLL parameters to allow for other frequencies...

Exactly.

>Not to
>mention the fact that the oscillator must be at TTL levels and 5v
>rail-to-rail oscillators will likely damange the chip.

Of course it will.  They don't recomend more than 3.3 for the chip...  :\

>Third, about this IDE portable thing... I've gotten like 10 messages
>from people wondering about its "features," so I'd like you to clear
>that up...

People e-mail you about me?  :/

>With only 8k of AVR firmware, it sounds to me like it
>won't have SQUAT in terms of functionality.

Stop/Play/Search up/Search Down/Search Turbo/Volume.  its a hobby project,
not a sony release.

>What about power
>management?

I use my NEC laptop battery since the NECs dead.

>Your file system?

One that I designed.  Not too similar to the one I gave to you.  i used the
same little boxes, but every thing else is different...  :)

>LCD display?

Maybe.  The one I have uses a number display.  I'm probably going to add
LCD while I'm waiting for the stupid DAC.

>Will it have a keypad?

yes.

>Or will this simply load all the mp3's sequentially and PLAY them
>sequentially...

Thats what my beta did.  Remember back then?  I told you in IRC I had it
working.  I need some error correction becuase by the time the data got
from the computer to the player it was full of CRC errors...  :(  Oh well,
I've re-designed the source since then.

>Boy, wouldn't that be exciting :).

To construct a barebones hard drive IDE player for ~$50?  yes, to most it
would be exciting.  Less than the 'EII'.

>I've been getting
>(err, lately I've been deleting :) far too many emails on this,
>especially since that f00 at mp3.com seems to love to report on your
>latest activities :).

You mean Michael Robertson...

Follow-Ups: References: