Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

>From: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>
>>>Question 1.
>>>Do you believe that any data stored on company equipment
>>>is property of the company, including personal data created
>>>or downloaded by the employee using that equipment?
>>
>>If you signed a buisness contract, most positive yes.  Everything you
>>create at a nice computer jub usually belongs to the company...  :(
>

>I agree.  I believe that software you write on your own time is also
>accessable to the company, you and the company each have
>non-exclusive copyrights to it.  Various other rules apply to
>software written for and paid for by a company.

I learned that the hard way with my portable mp3 player.  :)  I own it, I
just can't post it or something strange like that.

I can however, post the new one that I'm working on before christmas.

>>>Question 2b.
>>>If said data is encrypted, should the owner of a device the
>>>data passes through have the right to either decrypt
>>>the data, or legally order decryption by the transmitter?
>>
>>If there is a federal search warant, yes.
>
>I don't agree here, if there is a warrent the law enforcement
>agancy should be able to request a copy of the encrypted
>data, and the system owner should be free to provide copies
>of the encrypted data (if they happend to make a copy), however,
>the system owner should have no access to the decrypted data,
>since it was obviously intended to be private, and has nothing
>to do with them anyway ( I suspect this may be what you meant,
>but its not what you said).

If there is a search warant, the will do whatever they want too.  If you
don't comply, they'd either realy mess with your live (the gov't does that
anyway) or just jail you....

>A related issue would be voice transmissions, the phone company
>would be able to legally listen to and record any call you made,
>regardless if it was voice or data, encrypted or not.

And they do sometimes...