Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

From: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>
>>Question 1.
>>Do you believe that any data stored on company equipment
>>is property of the company, including personal data created
>>or downloaded by the employee using that equipment?
>
>If you signed a buisness contract, most positive yes.  Everything you
>create at a nice computer jub usually belongs to the company...  :(

I agree.  I believe that software you write on your own time is also
accessable to the company, you and the company each have
non-exclusive copyrights to it.  Various other rules apply to
software written for and paid for by a company.

>>Question 2a.
>>Do you believe that any data you cause to be transmitted
>>across any computing device on a network is legally inspectable
>>by the owner or that device? (this includes the internet, every
>>machine this data goes across is owned either by the govenrment
>>or a corporation).
>
>If its owned by them, yes.

I agree.
If a network is open to and commonly used for public data transfer
think that the owner should not be held responsible for the data that
is send across it (freeing them from any legal issues of people discussing
illegal matters across their equipment).
Information that is not encrypted is open to inspection, since a public
network is obviously not a secure medium.

>>Question 2b.
>>If said data is encrypted, should the owner of a device the
>>data passes through have the right to either decrypt
>>the data, or legally order decryption by the transmitter?
>
>If there is a federal search warant, yes.

I don't agree here, if there is a warrent the law enforcement
agancy should be able to request a copy of the encrypted
data, and the system owner should be free to provide copies
of the encrypted data (if they happend to make a copy), however,
the system owner should have no access to the decrypted data,
since it was obviously intended to be private, and has nothing
to do with them anyway ( I suspect this may be what you meant,
but its not what you said).

If it were legal for system owners to legally request decryption
of data sent across their system, they could watch for info
destined for any secure web site where credit card
data would be sent, then request that you provide the unencrypted
version of this info (possably containing your credit card info or other
sensitive information).  This would legally be within their rights, and
you would not be able to refuse.

A related issue would be voice transmissions, the phone company
would be able to legally listen to and record any call you made,
regardless if it was voice or data, encrypted or not.

DK