Re: TI-H: 92 battery pack expander

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mel wrote:
>>Most of the power is not released as heat.  Power is consumed
>>because it takes energy to move electrons at a specified rate
>>through a specified resistance.

What??

If most of the power is not released as heat, where does it go?

I know that better than 98% the power used by an incandesent
lightbulb is heat, same for any resistive part.  Some goes
into magnetic field 'lines' that are radiated and do not
return to the wire when the field collapses, some is converted
to light, but these are nearly always quite small compaired to
the amount of energy released as heat.

Nearly all the power consumed by a computer is released as heat,
with the exception of that lost to friction in drive bearings,
fan blades and light from LED's and screens.  A Pentium II
by itself is rated at over 40W, and most of that is in heat!

If we could build a processor that used superconducting traces,
and so did not loose heat to resistive wires between gates, it
would operate MUCH cooler than todays processors.

Please support your statement, it does not sound correct to me.

DK