Re: TI-H: USB Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: USB Link

>>><nicely>Right, and do you REALLY notice this?</nicely>
>>
>>You would if you're trying to copy large amounts of data, or the like.
>
>I don't know about PCs, but they Macs start up faster with a 40MBPS drive
>than with a 10MBPS.

All this talk about interface speeds is practically irrelevant...  If
the media cannot be read faster than the interface, it doesn't matter.
The way an IDE hard drive is manufactuered, it's not even designed to
break UDMA limits.  Most of them will burst to the cache at 50 to 100
megabytes/sec anyways which is fine for 99% of applications.  UWSCSI
drives are made with tighter tolerances and for higher speed, so
therefore the media can be read faster and therefore needs a faster
interface.  They're also better suited for networked environments.
This is also why they cost more.  A LOT more in some cases.

Speed differences aren't due to limitations in the interface, they're
due to the desired featrues and costs of manufacturing.  It would be
easy as hell to add another row of pins to an EIDE connection header
and make it 64 bits wide @ 20ns with a 32 meg cache and blow SCSI out
of the water and still retain ATA-4 compatibiliity, but there's no
need for this so they don't do it.  Who cares about the interface.

-Mel

Follow-Ups: References: