Re: TI-H: Hardware for the TI-83

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Hardware for the TI-83

OK, the calculators have 3 or 4 chips. they have a power circuit, and they
have a link circuit, and they have a keyboard array that is read at a rate
controlled by an RC circuit, and they have an LCD, and then there is the
system clock.

the system clock controls the speed of the processor, ROM, and RAM. The link
circuits attach directly to the 4 lines on the processor. the processor sends
faster data, but the link circuits are still runnong at their normal speed.
this pushes , but the circuit can handle the faster data, but I doubt it uses
too much more power at all.

The keyboard is just a grid of wires you short to send a signal. the keyboard
grid is checked out once every so many times, set by an RC circuit. this won't
change with a turbo.your processor thinks the keyboard slowed down big time,
but in reality, it just speed up.

the screen is where it gets tricky. IT is also seprate. it runs at it's own
speed, and is not affected by the system clock in any way I know of. It
probably has a sync line (unknown), but that most likely only fine tunes the
data. if the calc's proccessor and clock speed up, it tries to make up for the
speed, but it was never designed for it. we could probably quadruple a TI-82
clock, but the screen is very, very picky about the speed of the signal it
recieves, and will show garbage if the data is too fast, cause then it
jumbles. I've over clocked my TI-82 to about 4x, but the screen is messed up.
I did calculations by typing them, and did a graph. I slowed it down, reset
the screen, and looked at it, and it calculated everything! on the TI-85, we
could do the same by changing the resistor AND the capacitor completely.

The fact that the screen is at a somewhat steady speed limits how fast we can
accelerate. when someone can make the screen sample data faster, then we'll
beable to break 20MHz. (:

for now, we have to stay right under the speed the screen jumbles up, an
that's our maximum speed.

It does take 2x power, but only for the parts that speed up. the link port
might use a little more power when linking, but I highly doubt it, since it
has a fixed power connection and no clock connection. The screen takes more
power than everything else combined, I believe, and it is not directly
affected bythe clock (maybe a sync line). It's power consumption shouldn't
increase that much. just a little maybe.

the chips are what draw 2x more power, but they use so little power, it make
almost no noticable diference. you could measure the extra power drain with
meter, but believe me, you won't be buying twice as many bateries! I have
noticed no diferences. It also halps to have a switch. I have run turbo only,
but most of the time, you run normal, and turbo when it's needed (like for
Daedalus, but then again, back then, it got used for hours on end by every one
in school or the library or At home or whatever. :)

It's not as bad a thing as it sounds like!

Turbo is the best upgrade ever (the easiest too!!!!)

second only to memory expansion.

Also, is there a way to use the ESF on the TI-86???

I'm getting an EII, so it doesn't matter I guess. What about EII extentions,
where you could say, plug an ESF into the module port and copy the memory to
the calc or the EII???
--

Richard Piotter
richfile@prairie.lakes.com

The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html