Re: TI-H: IR links

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: IR links

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Osma Suominen wrote:

> > I'm not sure, but I would think that there would be less interference
> > with microwaves! You may not have to worry so much about FCC
> > regulations too... But I really am not sure about that one.
>
> ALL unauthorized radio transmitters, including microwawe, are illegal
> here in Finland. I don't know about the FCC...

Hmm. Using microwave for a TI link is insane, considering you'd have to
use transistors with a REALLY high frequency rating on them, which have a
REALLY high price tag attached. Besides, microwaves do present a danger
to people and animals, if you're transmitting a big enough signal.
Tuning, or even designing a microwave circuit would be a total pain in
the ass anyway. It's not your average PCB layout when you're working with
microwaves.

I built a one-way (not TI-compatible) radio link using DTMF
encoder/decoder chips and a pair of walkie-talkies. I imagine a 556
timer and a pair of 567 tone decoders might be a better idea though :)
You could build a transmitter to transmit on walkie-talkie (CB) bands,
which should be legal almost anywhere..

Osma: In finland, do you allow stuff like remote control cars, children's
walkie-talkies and cordless phones? do they have to be "registered"?

-gee