Re: TIB: Re: TI-ZINE Starting-be a writer!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Robert Caldwell wrote:

> {{Tell me - how do you do 8 shade grayscale in TI-BASIC?}}
>
> {{Well, I would think, use 8 pictures and display them over and over
> back-to-back. Like greyscale on the TI-82/83 with 4 or 6 pictures now.
> ~Ilya}}
>
> wrong, actually it uses 1 picture for the beginning (right now it does
> only 16x16 sprites only, but i can easily upgrade it--i just had to see
> if it worked) and another picture for the greyscaling.  the greyscaled
> picture is split into 8 sectors (all 12x12 blocks with a different type
> of shade--each with a variance to the next frame, this is ANDed with the
> beginning picture to obtain the "blitter").  anyhow, i've gotten 2
> people to order the patterns from lightest to darkest, so they are in
> sequence.  so in all, after running the program, you'll end up with 12
> pictures that are LOCALized and run in a loop until a key is pressed.
>
> {{I posted a si[m]ilar BASIC Grayscale program for the TI-92 about a
> month ago. it allows you to choose the number of shades and allows you
> to type in a file name to get the pics, meaning one prog does all gray
> or B/W pics, any size, any bit depth!}}
>
> i've never seen the program.  the bit depth becomes faded and way off
> scale the more you use, meaning that you would have to create your OWN
> patterns, but my program creates their own patterns to shade it.  you
> just draw a picture on which you want shade 1 to be, shade 2 to be, etc.
>
> {{Use the cyclepic command to flip through the pics like a flip book.
> The pics are several B/W pics. The first pic shown only holds the Black
> dots. then the next pic holds the dark gray and blac, and the next
> medium gray, dark gray, and black, and so on. You get the idea.}}
>
> actually the cyclepic command has to be stopped with the ON-key or you
> would have bits and pieces of crap here and there.  there's so much crap
> that goes on with cyclepic, for example you can't place the picture
> where you want it on the screen.  if you change your greyscale down to 4
> and use the same cyclepic time variable, the fading becomes offset and
> it looks stupid.

I still don't understand how you can have "gray" pictures in BASIC.  Isn't
each pixel either on or off?  I doubt you can flash the pictures on the
screen fast enough to simulate fake grayscale.

--
Bryan Rabeler <brabeler@ticalc.org>
   File Archives

Follow-Ups: References: