Re: basic question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: basic question

Shoulda wrote "Usually a memory leek isn't that bad FOR A SMALL
PROGRAM TO HELP WITH HOMEWORK" like the guy said. A small memeory leek
CAN be a problem for a game where speed is very important... Shoulda
been more precise... Sorry.

As for mem errors, I admit it, I didn't even think of it because of
the type of program the guy was talking about... But it happened quite
often (back when I had a 82 with a measly ~28 kb) that I had just a
few bytes free... and I got errors often because I didn't even know
what a mem leak was so I had a lot of them...

Didn't know anyone paid so much attention to me out there, I'm
flattered :-)

You know, now that I look at the rest of the file again, I'm wondering
why I didn't just suggest to do this to the guy:

Instead of that put the following:
If E=1: ClrHome
If E=1:Goto 2

No memory leek and It works... sloppy programming of course, but what
do you expect... The time it takes to evaluate "E=1" again should be
neglectable next to a ClrHome. Or you could evaluate and store to a
var... but that'd probably be even longer... Am I obsessive or what?

In any case, it's pretty obvious this probably gets executed 5 or 6
times when the program runs, so who cares?

Before this starts another argument: what you quoted, I said in the
context of a game that needed speed and no mem errors, this was in the
context of a little program for homework... makes a big difference.

Philipp Keller