Re: TI vs HP newsgroup?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI vs HP newsgroup?

It's pretty simple.  You check the amount of time both take to do the
same job.  For example, the amount of time it takes to solve an
equation using the numeric solver on each.  Can you compare the time
it takes 2 different things to do the same job?  Yes.  The generic
term is benchmark.

Take Steen for instance.  He claimed the HP could solve
(e^x)*sqrt(3)-3=5) faster than the TI.  He said that the HP returned
the answer x=0.382533849 in jsut over a second.  Steen neglected to do
several things however.  1)Steen forgot to compare his result with the
other half of his claim, namely the TI 92.  If he had done this, he
would have realized that the TI did the job much faster.  Steen also
forgot to check his answer.  The answer x=0.382533849 returned by the
Steens HP is incorrect.  So, we can say with certainty that steen is
wrong on both his claims.  What Steen did help prove is that the HP
can return an incorrect answer in more time than it takes a TI to
return the correct one.

So,