Re: x=@n3*PI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: x=@n3*PI

Dick Smith wrote:

> In article <369cad41.1886075@news.lth.se>,
>           e96nbr@efd.lth.ingenreklamtack.se (Niklas Brunlid) wrote:
>
> ] On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:19:21 -0500, "SPUI"
> ] <dem@moraseski.REMOVEima-net.com> wrote:
> ]
> ] >another annoying thing is since it keeps going up you can't access it from
> ] >program b/c you wont know which one is used
> ]
> ] You should be able to turn the answer into a string, find the "@" sign
> ] and thereby figure out what number the variable has.
>
> Yes, but to what purpose are we put through this game?  Why is it there?

It is there because the solution of the problem has many values all
of the form returned with the arbitrary integer.  To get the main
solution, you can just set the integer to zero using the "|" when
operator.  Or you can get a sequence of n solutions by using "|" to
get the @n variable the values of 0,1,2,...,n-1.

The number attached to the @n is to differentiate it form other
arbitrary integers in the same session or problem.  It may take two
or more arbitrary integers to represent all solutions to the problem.

In the case where they are constants of integration i. e. in a solution
of an integral or differential equation, you can use the boundary
conditions to solve for specific values of the constants.  In a
single integral problem like:
S(x*e^(x),x,c)
you can specify the constant name as above.
> TI, are you listening?  Or anyone who can shed any light on why it is there
> or how it can be disabled?

If you want the correct answer, you don't want it disabled.  Just give
it a value if that's what you want to restrict the answer.

> Dick
>
> --
> Dick Smith                                           dick@risctex.demon.co.uk
> Acorn Risc PC                                  http://www.risctex.demon.co.uk

| Glenn E. Fisher -retired    Fisher@uh.edu or gefisher@onramp.com |
| Central Computing Services  http://www.uh.edu/~fisher            |
| University of Houston       Houston, Texas                       |
| My home address:      22402 Diane Dr., Spring, Texas 77373-7504  |