Re: x=@n3*PI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: x=@n3*PI

In article <36A5F12E.4BCD@uh.edu>,
          Fisher@uh.edu (Glenn Fisher) wrote:

] Dick Smith wrote:
] >
] > Yes, but to what purpose are we put through this game?  Why is it there?
]
] It is there because the solution of the problem has many values all
] of the form returned with the arbitrary integer.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but my point was that I didn't understand why the 'n'
has to be qualified as it is.  eg. taking the example from the subject line
of this thread, surely x=@n3*PI can be written just as accurately as x=n*PI?

The '@' and the 3 (in this case) are redundant and just clutter up the
answer in my opinion.

] To get the main
] solution, you can just set the integer to zero using the "|" when
] operator.  Or you can get a sequence of n solutions by using "|" to
] get the @n variable the values of 0,1,2,...,n-1.

Of course, but wouldn't it be simpler to just substitute for n?

] The number attached to the @n is to differentiate it form other
] arbitrary integers in the same session or problem.  It may take two
] or more arbitrary integers to represent all solutions to the problem.

I don't see this (sorry); if n is an arbitrary integer (0, 1, 2, 3, etc.)
then how is @n25 any different?  I mean, @n25 can take values 0, 1, 2, 3,
etc. in just the same way.  We don't need @n25, we only need n, IMHO.

Also, if I want n to increment in steps 2 (or some other step size) I can do
this by introducing 2n, etc. into my general term, which is now made more
complicated by having @n25 to look at.  eg 2@n25...? Ugh!  Simplicity, or
rather a lack of unnecessary complication, please.

Dick

Dick Smith                                           dick@risctex.demon.co.uk
Acorn Risc PC                                  http://www.risctex.demon.co.uk