Re: discovery

[Next][Index][Thread]

Re: discovery

Chris Hiszpanski <mecad@SCV.NET> writes:

[begin quoted text]

Yesterday I made an interesting discovery. i used a regular 3.5mm mono 8
bit male/male cable with a 3.5mm->2.5mm adapter to send a program to my
tape deck and then retrieve it. EXTRA MEMORY! I did manage to send it,
even though I received and error. When I played it back I did hear the
high and low sound. The only problem was that i could not retrieve the
program.  i did not use a three wire (stereo) cable like the TI link so
that is probably the
problem. I'm wondering if anyone has ever attempted a similar experiment
and could provider some more information.

[end quoted text]

First, what is a "mono 8 bit male/male cable?"  How do you figure it
supports 8 bits?  "Mono" equals "one."  And yes, you would need two
channels (stereo).  Second, a tape deck might record the output, but any
connected device must use the TI link protocol, hence the link transmit
error.  Maybe you could use a program to dump the RAM to a tape (no
response would be necessary from the tape deck), but then how would you
retrieve the backup?  The retrieval program would have to overwrite
itself!  Third, a tape deck is not engineered to the same specs as, say,
a PC tape backup system, much as an audio CD player could not be
converted into a CD-ROM drive.  If the tape slips even a little bit, or
the resolution is too poor, etc. you are screwed!

Kevin DeGraaf

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: