A92: Waba VM for 89/92+

[Prev][Index][Thread]

A92: Waba VM for 89/92+

Hey all.  I've got a project proposal.

A group out on the net called WabaSoft (www.wabasoft.com) has developed a
Java-compatible virtual machine for dinky platforms (PalmPilot, WindowsCE,
etc.)  It runs standard Java bytecode classes, but the library and packages
are stripped down to fit on a smaller machine.

So here's the thing: it'll fit on an 89/92+.  It already runs on the
68328-based PalmPilot, which is essentially a 68000.  The VM and libraries
are open source, and they have instructions for porting it to new
platforms--like (drumroll) our calculators!

My intentions: to craft this app to run on our calculators, probably under
a shell (DoorsOS comes to mind).  However, I'm not as good of a C
programmer as I'd like to be, and while I can handle a lot of the porting
tasks, I'm not all that familiar with the necessary TI ROM calls and
such.  Is anyone out there interested in being able to run (small) Java
apps on their calculators, and would like to help with the port?

(As a secondary note, this would open up a library of PalmPilot and
WindowsCE Waba software for our use, unmodified.  Like Java, programs in
Waba are platform-independent.)
--Cliff Biffle

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.  -Dark Helmet