Re: LF: RAM Upgrade possibility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Jake Robb wrote:

> I wonder...
>
> I heard mention that the RAM upgrade is actually a ROM revision which
> tells the calculator how to access the extra RAM.

Sigh, yes.

> I wonder, since we can hack the ROM to put Fargo in it,

Whoa! Hold it right there.  ROM stands for Read-Only memory.  Not Fargo,
nor anything else can change it.  Fargo works by changing the way the
68k processor deals with external events (esp, pressing "on") called
interrupts.  This all happens in RAM.

> why couldn't we hack it and put the extra code in there?  I couldn't do
> it myself, but maybe whoever figured out how to put Fargo in there could
> do it.

As before, we can't change the ROM, and as you point out, without this
ability, the calc doesn't really know how to use the extra ram.

> Well?

Sorry. :(

> --
> Jake Robb