Re: LF: RAM Upgrade possibility & other stuff

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Shawn Walker wrote:
> > I heard mention that the RAM upgrade is actually a ROM revision which
> > tells the calculator how to access the extra RAM.
>
> Sigh, yes.
>
> > I wonder, since we can hack the ROM to put Fargo in it,
>
> Whoa! Hold it right there.  ROM stands for Read-Only memory.  Not Fargo,
> nor anything else can change it.  Fargo works by changing the way the
> 68k processor deals with external events (esp, pressing "on") called
> interrupts.  This all happens in RAM.

Oopsie!  I knew that.  I seem to have been deluding myself.

> > why couldn't we hack it and put the extra code in there?  I couldn't do
> > it myself, but maybe whoever figured out how to put Fargo in there could
> > do it.
>
> As before, we can't change the ROM, and as you point out, without this
> ability, the calc doesn't really know how to use the extra ram.

OK, this is reaching really far.  But, I have nothing better to do, and
nothing better to say either.  Are we all teenagers, or are there some
seasoned pros among us?  For instance, someone who could make new,
all-the-RAM-capable ROM chips for us?  I personally could, but don't
want to, afford the $100 upgrade, nor do I want to have to wait for a
version of Fargo that would work with ROM 2.1.  (The version that allows
the RAM Upgrade)  Is this at all possible?  Or am I wasting my time?

Here's another possibility.  Could we, per chance, append the ROM in RAM
with the necesary code to access the higher RAM?  (I hope that made
sense)

And, one last thing:
A few days ago, I posted a request for help getting started programming
in assembly code.  I have minimal knowledge of asm and C, but extensive
knowledge on the processes behind programming (I have learned several
other languages).  When I requested help originally, I had something
more specific in mind.  Can anyone tell me where I can learn ASM?  Like
a book or something?  Or would someone be willing to teach me?  I learn
fast, and once I get the hang of things, I learn REALLY F***ING fast.
So, the teaching wouldn't require much.  I mostly need to learn the
basics of formatting the code, etc.

Sorry for the long post

--
Jake Robb