Re: LF: RAM Upgrade possibility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: RAM Upgrade possibility

> I heard mention that the RAM upgrade is actually a ROM revision which
> tells the calculator how to access the extra RAM.  I wonder, since we

No.  It's a ROM revision that contains a RAM chip as well.  The calc
doesn't already contain the extra RAM -- it's packaged along with the
ROM module.

> can hack the ROM to put Fargo in it, why couldn't we hack it and put the
> extra code in there?  I couldn't do it myself, but maybe whoever figured
> out how to put Fargo in there could do it.

Well, we didn't "hack the ROM" to put fargo in it.  What was done was
that the backup of RAM was modified to allow direct access to
assembly code in RAM -- it really has nothing to ROM access (except
for accessing rom features through romlib.92p), much less ROM
modification (impossible without physically modifying the chip
itself).

Later,

      Josh Hays           |              jhays@teaser.fr
    Paris, France         |      http://www.brownell.edu/~johays
 American School of Paris |        http://www.teaser.fr/~jhays
      "Id quod fuimus aut sumus, non cras erimus." -Ovid