Re: A89: Seven level Grayscale

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Seven level Grayscale

> Btw, I recently tested my method with 8 levels gray, and it worked realy
> good, just an itty bity more flicker. I won't post that since it is such a
> simple mod. (If someones wonders I used plane sequence: 0102010.)

That's not 8 level, it's still seven.  Setting one and two is the same as
setting just zero.  This also likely explains why your seven-level routine
purportedly has so little ficker - did you by any chance use a variation of
the sequence 01201?  That's five-level, and the difference in flicker from
four level will be minimal.

8 level requires 4 displays of one plane, 3 of another, and two of the final
plane.

The number of planes required for any arbitrary level L is log base two of
L, rounded up.  To achieve the maximum number of levels for any arbitrary
number of planes P will have the P spans of time be the P consecutive
integers with the lowest number being (P-1).

So while three planes can, in theory, represent eight levels of grayscale,
it would require the light plane to be displayed only 1/9 of the total
display time, whereas seven levels means that the light plane is displayed
1/7 of the total time, which is sufficiently flicker-free for still images.

Next time, please take the time to devise and run a test program and then
count the number of colors before submitting it to this list for scrunity.

    -Scott

Follow-Ups: References: