A89: Re: Disk space

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Disk space

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Rodgers <bentensai@yahoo.com>
To: <assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 6:17 PM
Subject: A89: Disk space

> Hi.  I do all my work on 3.5" floppy disks and
> something strange has happened.  On all the disks that
> I program on I can't use all of the memory.  It stops
> at about 900 to 1000 kilobytes.  It won't let me put
> any more files on it.  This has happened to all my
> disks.  Is this something that the assembler would do
> becouse all I have on the disks are asm files and 89z
> files and I assemble the asm files to my disk?  Does
> there a reason why this happens?

necessarily

> ===
> Visit my website, Some Assembly Required, at
> http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/gilford/908
> For the best of japanese programs and news on
> Brave Warrior Itami.

the files are stored on disks in sectors, a sector usually being from .5k to
1k.  Only a single file or part of file can be assigned to a sector, so you
probably have a lot of partially used sectors consuming what should be
available memory. Also, the MCB (read: allocation table) for a floppy disk
only has one sector ascribed to it, so if that gets filled up ..
you can try running a disk defragmenter on your floppy, or maybe just
removing everything from the disk and copying it all back on.  but don't
expect that to do much (might make it much faster though :-), you probably
just have it filled to the top already.