Re: A86: Assembly Studio 8x released

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Assembly Studio 8x released

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:38:57 -0700 "David Phillips" <david@acz.org>
writes:

> > really?  i started with tasm & i'm still using it.  (the secret to
> using
> > tasm is magical batch files)
>
> Batch files are nice, but once you've tried make, there's no going
> back :)

i don't quite remember, but i think asm studio had an option to build &
send to vti.  i would love that.

the other problem i had with asm studio is that sometimes i assemble code
that i intend to compress before including.  this requires output to a
bin file, which i couldn't find an option for.

> > i tried ver 3.1 of asm studio & it wouldn't load my modified
> instruction
> > table (despite its claims that it could load any table from tasm),
> and
> > this version won't even install.  (can i get a zip here?)
>
>  It's an MSI, so if you don't have Win2k, WinME, or Office 2000, you
> need to
> get the installer from Microsoft.  There are links on the download
> page.
> MSI is pretty cool, since it totally wraps an install and supposedly
> keeps
> it from getting screwed up and from screwing up your system.  Like
> if you
> delete a dll or exe from the program directory, it automatically
> reinstalls
> the missing file.  Not sure if I totally like this, but it seems
> good for
> not so savy computer users.

i dled the msi installer that was linked on that page (i use win95), that
confused me for a sexond, i was expecting the whole install in one file
:)
anyway, after i installed that, i went back and got the msi file, which
gave me an error when i tried to install.  ("Unexpected Termination" &
"The IO operation has been aborted..." etc)

i'd still be happy with a simple zip file

> > having the source code to asm studio is great, i'd love to be able
> > add/fix things, but i do not have vc++ 6...
>
> I have a legit copy of VC++ 6, but my cd is too scratched to install
> :(  Did
> you ever send Jeremy a copy of your modified tab file?  I would bet
> that
> it's pretty simple, unless it uses modifiers that the normal z80
> table
> doesn't use.  It only implements what is necessary for the stock z80
> table,
> not everything that tasm is cable of.

originally, it did use instruction modes that weren't in asm studio's tab
file, but i noticed that two of them did exactly the same thing, so i
went thru & changed them all.  i added the last column in a few places
where it was missing.  everthing i could think of, i even tried removing
all of the comments & alternate processor instructions.  in the end i
assumed asm studio couldn't deal with really long instruction strings,
like  "SET  H,*,(IX*) CBDD 4 ZBIT 1 0 C400"

after all that, i emailed him a copy (or i tried, maybe i had the wrong
address), but never got any reply, so i posted the tab file to ticalc in
hopes of spreading the problem around a bit :)

-josh

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.