Re: A86: Question on tile maps

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Question on tile maps

At 16:41 1999-01-27 -0500, you wrote:

>Just to put my two cents in... can't you change the ram that the calc.
uses as
>the video ram.  If you stored the sprite in one place as they would look on
>the screen; and then your map in an other; you could just flip the video ram.
>I think it talks about doing that in the Assembly Studio help file.  I don't
>have time right now to hunt it down; I just remembered it, and now I"m making
>you all aware of it.  This would let it go faster right?

Well, that wouldn't exactly work, unless you would like "gray" sprites &
background. You could, however change the video ram address to save
a ldir. In my "still-to-be-finished" game engine, i'm using FC00-FFFF
and F800-FBFF as video memories after moving the stack (& some other stuff
to RAM page 1). It could be something like this...

* Draw background graphics in RAM page 1, and do the scrolling here.
* Copy this video buffer to the video mem currently not used (FC00 or F800)
* Put the sprites on this video memory
* Switch video memory address

Easy & fast

//Jimmy Mårdell