Re: A86: Question on tile maps

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Question on tile maps

>I believe the original reason I didn't use this method was that Sqrxz
>was first made for the 85, where this option would require an additonal
>1k free memory.

Yeah, us 86 users are spoiled with all of that extra ram ;-)

>Also, the sprite routine doesn't get that much slower...

Gosh, I hate to disagree with Jimmy Mardell, but I do.  For a masked sprite
routine, there just aren't enough registers to shift both mask bytes, both
sprite bytes and both background bytes in one loop.  To shift the background
bytes back into a single sprite would require adding a second re-shift loop
to the routine.  It would also require another pointer like IY, though that
wouldn't be that big of a deal.