Re: A86: Death by Linux

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Death by Linux

If you're in linux, grep :) .. but that would take a while... what I would
do is 'less /dev/hdb' and look at parts of the disk (although this way
might take a LOOONNG time :))

-Chuck
 On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Stephen Horne wrote:

%
%To summarize a long, sad tale, I tried to reinstall Linux today, but instead
%ended up destroying the partition table on my secondary hard drive. This
%drive was, of course, the drive that contained the latest version of my
%TI-86 programs. I have only a two-week old backup of the asm file that is
%missing half of the new code, and the actual program which i uploaded to my
%calc last night. I grabbed the program from the calc, but was wondering if
%its really a horrible task to try to disassemble something?? Is it
%impossible? Should I work up from the 2 week old file or disassemble the new
%one and keep going??
%
%Also, it MAY be possible to recover data from the drive simply because I
%never formatted it. It's basically got a blank partition table that i've
%been mucking around with trying to get an entry that worked (I've tried
%everything from FAT32 LBA to FAT 12 (which is for floppies and obviously
%would never work)) but no luck. I figured if i directly look at the data on
%the drive, it could be possible to search for the file... but does anyone
%know how this could be accomplished? I have no idea what programs do this...
%
%Anwyays, thanks  for your time
%
%-- Steve "Linux ate my hard drive" Horne
%
%

Chuck Mason		              || "The world is full of
chuckjr@sundial.net                   ||  painted pictures
semu - http://emu.simplenet.com/semu/ ||  its 1000 words."--Me