A86: Death by Linux

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Death by Linux

To summarize a long, sad tale, I tried to reinstall Linux today, but instead
ended up destroying the partition table on my secondary hard drive. This
drive was, of course, the drive that contained the latest version of my
TI-86 programs. I have only a two-week old backup of the asm file that is
missing half of the new code, and the actual program which i uploaded to my
calc last night. I grabbed the program from the calc, but was wondering if
its really a horrible task to try to disassemble something?? Is it
impossible? Should I work up from the 2 week old file or disassemble the new
one and keep going??

Also, it MAY be possible to recover data from the drive simply because I
never formatted it. It's basically got a blank partition table that i've
been mucking around with trying to get an entry that worked (I've tried
everything from FAT32 LBA to FAT 12 (which is for floppies and obviously
would never work)) but no luck. I figured if i directly look at the data on
the drive, it could be possible to search for the file... but does anyone
know how this could be accomplished? I have no idea what programs do this...

Anwyays, thanks  for your time

-- Steve "Linux ate my hard drive" Horne