RE: A86: ROM Images

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A86: ROM Images

At 08:31 PM 11/15/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> Well, we ARE doing research!  We are researching how to make games for the
>> TI graphing calculators and then writing games and matching the game code
>> against the ROM to make sure it works, then beta testers do the exact same
>> thing.  Therefore distributing the ROM IS legal since we are under the
>> section of copyright law that deals with research.

>Uh, WRONG!  Distributing the ROM cannot be legal under any circumstances.

You can't just make a statement like this and leave us hanging.  Explain
these "circumstances" that you speak of.  I specified the type of research
that all of us programmers are doing, which makes the ROM legal to have.
Distributing the ROM is therefore legal since everyone must be able to
prove that the research that the programmers did is really true.  So,
either end of the use of the ROM is legal under copyright law.  Now, tell
me YOUR defense.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just trying to get TI off our
backs...which we would all like to happen.  The issue of ROM images needs
to be settled with us on the legal winning side.  It is able to happen,
only if our brilliant legal minds come together to create a solution.

BTW, TI hasn't gone to court yet, but you never know when it will happen.
We need to be ready to defend a fellow programmer, beta tester, etc. if
such a case ever comes up.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org

Follow-Ups: References: